Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Pongala Pongal

After being down for 2 ½ days with the food poison I was up on Jan 15th Tuesday.
I decided that I am going to make Chakkara Pongal (Sweet Pongal) and Sundal in the evening. Left home at 5 P.M from work and started with my pongal and sundal preparation at around 6 P.M (had to clean to the house also for pongal celebration :) ).

Woke up my mom in India at 5 A.M (there time) to ask on how to prepare pongal. Armed with the preparation technique from my mom I kept rice in the rice cooker and set up about breaking the jaggery( vellam). It took for me and my room mate 30 mins to break a piece of out of the jaggery bar. We virtually tried all possible combinations except jumping on the jaggery bar to break it. As usual when there is issue in production ( my samayal) called the production support( my mom) in India to ask on how to break the jaggery bar, experience speaks…she asked me to put the jaggery bar in hot water and boil it in low flames for 15 -20 mins. Wowww it started melting and I got the watery jaggery mix in correct stage( kambi pakuvam). In the mean time I finished my sundal preparation too , mixed jaggery ,rice and cashew fried in ghee and here I gooooo Pongala Pongal……….Pongal turned up ok for eating...the pics below looks yummy for eating rite……


No comments: